Tuesday 6 March 2012

5 Years Down, 1 To Go!

       My first year in the Faculty of Education (and 5th year in university) is DONE! After exams in Individuals with Exceptionalities, Classroom Management and Social Studies Methods (all written today) I can officially say I have completed my first year as an education student! My fiance and I celebrated with a congratulatory brunch at Smitties and going to the theater to see Dr. Suess' The Lorax (the teacher in me couldn't stop thinking of the inferential thinking scenarios and the social studies curriculum: sustainable development, environmental implications, ecosystems, infrastructure, politics, economy, etc).

One more year to go!
I have always loved being a student. I enjoyed my undergrad immensely and, despite knowing that I would apply into the education program after my undergrad, I often joked about being a life-time student. I must say, however, that I have enjoyed the education program even more than I had thought I would. I can't even really begin to describe what an amazing feeling it was to finish my first day of student teaching and think, "Wow! This is what I want to do every day for the rest of my life." The justification that, yes, I have chosen the right path is so incredible.

     On Monday I begin my second round of student teaching, this time at "C School", for 8 weeks (7 weeks in the classroom due to public school's spring break holiday) and I am so excited! I will be in a Grade 5 classroom, which will be a big shift from the Grades 10-12 I was with in the fall but I will be visiting the school on Thursday so stay tuned for a post all about that. I am saddened, however, because after this student teaching placement we go right into summer break, meaning that I won't see many of the close friends I have made over the last 7 months until fall. I wish them, and any student teachers, the best during their student teaching placements and a happy summer :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your progress in Student Teaching! As a teacher, you WILL always be a Life Time student! It's in our blood to always be searching and learning! Keep up the great job! It IS a Calling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Nancy! You are definitely right about teachers being life long learners :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!